Monday, April 23, 2018

🏳️‍🌈✝️ Sibling Rivalry



Written by Julie Cosgrove

April 23, 2018

_________________________________________________________________________________


“Esau said, “Isn’t he rightly named Jacob? This is the second time he has taken advantage of me: He took my birthright, and now he’s taken my blessing!” - Genesis 27:36

Are you ever jealous of your siblings? Comedians The Smother Brothers always made people laugh when one said to the other, “Mom always liked you best.” Most of us can relate. We are not as pretty as our sister or as smart as our brother. We aren’t as tall, as skinny, or have their talent. Whatever it is we think they have, we want it.

The Bible doesn’t pull punches. It doesn’t portray Jacob, the father of the tribes of Israel, as a holy man who never had any flaws. A twin, he emerged from the womb grabbing hold of his brother’s ankle as if to say, “No, me first.” (See Genesis 25:24-26). As an adult, he stole his brother’s birthright. Yet, God took him, faults and all, and molded him into a faithful man with patience and wisdom.

Even Jesus’ disciples were prone to be jealous of each other. In Luke 9 Jesus sent them out with the power to heal and preach. When they come back, they begin to compare who was the greatest. Yet later, after Jesus sent His Spirit, they suddenly worked together as a team for the good of all believers (Acts 2:42-46). What changed?

Like Jacob, God through His Holy Spirit molded them into men who saw their worth in His eyes. Each had something God planned for them to do. Perhaps if we saw our siblings, both natural and spiritual, in the same way, the green tinge of envy would evaporate from our hearts.

Father, forgive me when I begin to compare my talents to that of others. Do not let envy slip into my heart. Show me your purpose for my life, and let me allow you, by your Holy Spirit, to mold me into the servant of the gospel you want me to be. Through your Son I pray this, amen.”

Go Deeper — Are you harboring a bit of jealousy in your heart for a sibling or church member? Ask God to work it out of you. Write them an old fashioned letter of apology, stating how God has helped you see things differently, and mail it.

More from The Life, here

No comments:

Post a Comment