Tuesday, December 12, 2017

🏳️‍🌈✝️ Trusting in the Lord



December 12, 2017


_________________________________________________________________________________ 


 
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. – 1 Peter 5:7
 
Many winters ago, I was driving at night through the mountains of the Pacific Coast Range on a narrow, winding road. It was snowing those big, fluffy flakes that seem to catch your headlights and come straight toward you. Enough snow had fallen to obliterate the center line. 
To make matters worse, I was driving our old green van, which had very sloppy steering. (I literally had to steer it to go in a straight line!) Needless to say, I was somewhat tense.
 
Sitting next to me was my eight-year-old son, Steve. In the middle of this ordeal, Steve innocently said to me, “Jesus will take care of us, won’t He?” I replied, “Yes, Jesus will take care of us.” Suddenly, I felt all the tension and stiffness leave me. In effect, I had turned my care and worry over to the Lord, and I was able from that point on to relax and enjoy the trip. I had known the whole time that God was in control, but at that moment I really let myself trust in Him.
As Christians, we believe that God is in control of our lives and that He will take care of us in the best possible way. God may allow adversity to come to us, but we have the confidence that nothing slips by without His knowledge. Whatever He allows will in one way or another be for our good, and He will help us to be able to bear it.
However, even when we have this knowledge, we can still find ourselves trying to control circumstances in our own strength. Just “knowing” is not enough; there are times when we have to consciously take our worries to the Lord and leave them with Him. That night as I was driving with my son through the snow, although I believed in God’s care, my belief did not do me any good until I had given my worry to Him. Then I was able to experience the blessing and peace of fully trusting in God.
Since that incident, I have thought back on it many times and thanked God for His faithfulness in teaching me this lesson. God wants to take care of us, and He wants us to trust that He will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment