Thursday, December 28, 2017

🏳️‍🌈✝️ Preparing for Y2K




12/28/2017


___________________________________________________________________________________ 


Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? – Matthew 6:31

As the year 2000 approached, there was speculation that the world’s computers would recognize the year ‘00 as the year 1900 and then crash. Soon, nations were preparing for a presumed crisis that quickly became known as “Y2K.” Utility companies began giving daily updates as to how close they were to having their computers ready. Newspaper articles advised everyone to stock up on food, water, and other essentials, in case computer crashes sent the whole economic structure into a tailspin.

To prepare my own family for the possible disaster, I stocked my pantry with canned goods and my freezer with a side of beef. Then I sat down to make a list of what I had and what else I would need. I finished the list and was going over it one last time when the thought came to me, I hope I thought of everything.
As I paused to consider this, I realized that if I were going to rely on myself, and not on God, then I would need to think of everything. However, I could not see into the future and I did not know which computer systems would crash or if there would be rioting, looting, or hoarding. I decided it would be better to trust God, because He did know these things.

When the New Year rolled in, none of the disasters that had been anticipated materialized. However, something did go wrong. Even with the required Y2K patch, my own computer crashed. Because I had clients waiting on me, I needed to find a remedy right away. I searched the internet and computer stores, but could only find expensive programs to replace mine—all missing one very necessary feature.

I asked the Lord what to do and felt a strong urge to go back to the store I had just look at. It seemed futile, but I went. In the software aisle, I put my head down, closed my eyes, and prayed. When I opened my eyes, I was looking at a program that had fallen to the bottom shelf. I picked it up and saw that it had the exact feature I was looking for, with a price tag of only $20.00!

When we find ourselves facing an uncertain future, our first instinct is often to take matters into our own hands. Once we have a plan, we feel safe. It is a false sense of security, though, because we cannot see what obstacles are ahead. If we want real security, we must trust in God to take care of our future.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment