Friday, December 22, 2017

🏳️‍🌈✝️ The Whosoever





12/22/2017


___________________________________________________________________________________ 


For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. – John 3:16

 

While looking through a coloring book of Nativity scenes one Christmas, I was struck by the contrast in the lives of the people to whom God chose to announce the birth of His Son. 

On one page were the shepherds dressed in plain robes, sleeping in a field next to their sheep. I had read before that in those days, shepherds were the poor, despised, and often criminal outcasts of society. In contrast to them, on another page were the Wise Men, dressed in all the finery of a distant Eastern country and carrying expensive gifts. They were wealthy and educated, and had been granted an audience with King Herod to discuss astronomy.

On a different page of the coloring book was the baby, John the Baptist, who leapt in his mother’s womb at the good news of the coming Messiah. Across from him was Anna, a woman nearly a century old, giving thanks to the Lord as the Christ Child was dedicated in the Temple. 

Looking at the Nativity pictures, it became clear to me that in announcing the birth of His Son, God was demonstrating that the Gospel is for everyone. It is for the poor, like the shepherds; it is for the wealthy, like the Wise Men. It is for the young, like John the Baptist; it is for the aged, like Anna. It is for criminals and it is for diplomats. It is for the uneducated and it is for the learned. It is for everyone!

In my own life, I have also observed that God’s call goes out to all. When my son was five years old, he told me that he wanted to ask Jesus to come into his heart, as I had recently done. I thought he was too young, but I decided to humor him and we prayed. Over the next six months, there was such a change in his behavior that I realized the Gospel is for the young.

When my grandmother’s health began to decline at age eighty-nine, I knew she was not ready for Heaven. Yet, I had no intention of talking to her about the Gospel again, because I thought it was too late. Then, a few days before she died, my grandmother called my name. I went to her bedside and she said she wanted to pray to go to Heaven. We prayed, and later two nurses and my mother came into the room and asked, “Why is she suddenly so peaceful?” I knew that the Gospel is for the aged. 

Other testimonies could be told about the sick and the strong, the timid and the extrovert, the popular and the outcast—God meant the Gospel to be for everyone. There is hope for each person to receive salvation. We can do our part by following His example: share the Good News with one and all!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment