Tuesday, July 10, 2018

🏳️‍🌈✝️πŸ”» A Resting Place



07/10/2018


____________________________________________________________________________________ 


Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. – John 14:27

One of my favorite Southern Gospel groups, the Cathedral Quartet, used to sing a song that says, “No news is good news when you’re reading your newspaper; no news is good news when you’re watching your TV.” That seems to be even more fitting today than it was back then. The current events in our world can be very disturbing if we let our focus become centered on them.
There are so many voices that demand our attention, especially in this day of technology. It is so easy to get up in the morning or come home from work and immediately turn on the radio, TV, or computer, but I have found that there are times it is so nice to just have some quiet time with no voice but my own and God’s. It is amazing what can transpire during those quiet times! There is a peacefulness and often a song of praise wells up in my heart—songs I may not have even heard for a long time! Even beyond my normal daily devotional time, I have found this time to be very rewarding.

This is not to say that we should “stick our head in the sand” and not be aware of what’s going on in our world. We want to be knowledgeable so that we can be good citizens and make wise, informed decisions in life. However, a good balance is important. We also need quiet times where God can speak to us and restore the peace that the world tries to threaten. We need to keep our focus on Him!

As we see the events of the world unfolding, it is a great comfort to know that we have a hope that goes beyond this world. We can look to Jesus, who died to save our souls and give us strength and peace to live a good life while here on earth. But more than that, we can have the hope of Heaven where there will be nothing but good news!

Lord, when this world gets too much for me, help me to remember that there is a resting place in You. Help me to keep my focus on You and to remember that You are still in control. Thank You for the hope You have given me, in this life and in the life to come. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment